Saturday, March 15, 2008

St. Patrick's Day


“Give Ireland back to the Irish
Don't make them have to take it away
Give Ireland back to the Irish
Make Ireland irish today
Great Britian you are tremendous
And nobody knows like me
But really what are you doin'
In the land across the sea”
--Sir Paul McCartney “Give Ireland Back To The Irish.”



As far as I know, I am not IRISH. One of my Dad’s brother’s daughter took up writing a family history from her father and found the possibility of some Irish heritage.

Me, I doubt there is much. No red hair, no freckles, no want of complete fighting and chaotic drunken gibberish exist in the family. Ok, not the first two, but the others maybe.

So Happy St. Patty’s day. Erin Go Braugh (less).

Thinking about this day, why not give all ethnic folks in my background a day? We could have a Croatian day where everyone eats Kidney Hearts and drinks wine.

We could have a German day where everyone eats sausage and drinks wheat beer. You know, in retrospect, since Germany has the largest population, why not have a day? Oh, I know, Oktoberfest is usually about a week. I should not whine.

An Italian Day would be nice where everyone drinks wine and has pasta. Granted we have Columbus Day, but was he a true Italian and do we celebrate it with cultural food? Usually it is celebrated with car sales and down pricing at local stores.

This St. Patrick’s Day, I will celebrate as I do every year—I will do nothing, except maybe have a pint of Guinness (a beer made in London, from what I am told).

Wishing all of you the luck of the Green and hoping Notre Dame’s basketball team is better than their football team this season.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about the Guinness in the cans, but I do know that the real stuff is brewed in Dublin - I've seen the plant first hand and have enjoyed the fruits of the labor.

I actually prefer a pint of Murphy's - a bit more smokey than it's more famous country mate. Murphy's is made in Cork (the last port of call for the Titantic...)

Cheers Eric!

Peter

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

Yes, Guinness is brewed in Dublin. It must be drunk in Ireland to get the real stuff. Fresh and so good in the homeland.

It is my understanding that what we get here is actually brewed and bottled/canned in Canada. The alcohol content is not quite the same, less here for the American taste.

I'm not sure about the kegs. Maybe the guys at Fat Jack's would know.

Get yourself to Ireland and enjoy all the brews. Even Murphy's would be better.

There are pub tours from the states every year. Pub meals are good and cheap and the busier the pub the fresher the brews.

Lou

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home