Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Hoo-ray For Halloween....

“Crawling from the wreckage…”
--Dave Edmunds, 1979.

This was a bit of a frightening Halloween. You know, this holiday costs more and more each year.

Jen and I traveled (and traveled and traveled for eight hours) to Youngstown, Ohio, to see Mark and Mary and go to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. We set out on our journey at 11:30 Am, met some road construction about 1:00 PM, and were nearing our destination bout 7:45 PM when WHAM!, we hit something in the road. A car about 100 yards in front of us was on the side of the road, and Jen controlled our car to avoid hitting anyone else and safely pulling us into the shoulder.

I asked Jen what she hit, and then how she was. I called Mark, Jen called 911 and the police came, as he also almost hit the 2 by 6 that had errantly fell off of some vehicle at some point and was left to lay across the left lane.

WE gave information, the road crew guy helped me change the tire, and we drove on the donut tire to Mark’s house.

To make a long story short, Mark contacted the local Saturn dealer to help me buy two new wheels at $1,116.00 and the local Pep Boys placed the wheels on the car, added the new tires, and I was ready to go another $543.00 later. I should get the majority of that money back and the good thing was Jen’s driving was perfect as no one was hit.

My nervous Nellie habits would have hit something else or killed us all.

Still we had fun at Mark and Mary's (excellent hosts), as the Bears won, we hung out with kids who were trick or treating in costume, and the TSO show was fantastic. Next year at this time, people from near and far will be driving, flying, and otherwise coming in to see Jen and me in different costumes, just for the record.

And the day before we thought of flying because I hate driving long distances, but we decided not to because of costs. Oh the irony.

More later…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home