Sunday, September 27, 2009

Once Lost, Now (hopefully) Saved

In a move a bit out of character for me, Jen and I joined the Wesley United Methodist Church today. We went to a couple of classes, after we became interested in this church. We were going to Second Presbyterian and considered joining, but the $1,100.00 price tag for them to perform the wedding was a big price tag. Wesley United Methodist was abit cheaper, even though we decided to tie the knot at the church Jen’s family helped build in Minier.

I am not a very religious person and I lean on it when I am afraid or I want the Good Lord to help me out of some trouble. I once referred to it as Catholic by Convenience. Since I was divorced and refused to go through the annulment ceremony of Catholic greed and guilt, I decided to abandon the whole thing. Then I met Jen. Religion is very important to her and she seems to derive pleasure from attending services. I decided to share in the moment as well, and then it started to hit me, particularly after the stroke, that these sermons I was hearing was about me. It seemed as if the minister was directly speaking to me.

This week, on the week of our joining, the sermon was about people who do not believe in organized religion, and how the good Lord still talks to them and still blesses them. The pastor also warned against sanctimonious attitudes that prevail in our society. It was like talking to me, before I met Jen.

I have always been a spiritual person and I believe there is something greater in the next life. I just felt religions were full of pious people who seemed to condemn people for being gay, or for having abortions. It made no sense to me, since we are really not supposed to judge others. Granted my skew on the religion was a result of popular culture references, but it just seemed the churches wanted money and the people who followed who were not pious were hoping against hope for some good fortune to fall their way.

This church, and probably many others would have, changed my view. When I can see my life in the words spoken and I can make comparisons and analogies from my life when I listen, I think it has to have had a good effect.

Today we were introduced, we were given an NIV Bible with our names inscribed in it, and we were given a membership certificate (I told Jen it was a certificate of authenticity, and she gave me the “bad joke” look).

After the service we stood in a receiving line and I shook many hands. I felt like a politician, running for an obscure office. Folks were very kind to us and were very welcoming. It was a nice start to a better week. Every day is a gift, it is best to celebrate it and enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home