Thursday, January 15, 2009

What The Bears Need


I’m gonna make you bad for good…”
--Meatloaf from the album Bat Out of Hell III.

Wow, the Bears are really messed up.

Super Genius, Jerry Angelo has stated that he felt the quarterback position must be secured.

Hmm…poor Jerry must have forgotten that he could put Joe Montana back there, but if he does not have a receiver it is relatively pointless.

Jen and my brother are both calling for Ron Turner’s head, but I have some sympathy for the man. I mean, let’s see what Jerry gave Turner to work with: no receivers, an unproven and untested rookie running back (that’s after letting Thomas Jones go and banking on a moron like Cedric Benson), an offensive line that (like good cheese and wine) is aged, and a quarterback that was a fourth round draft pick from four years ago and a #1 that is clearly lost his edge. For the Bears to have won nine games, I say Turner deserves a medal.

With that in mind, the Bears MUST acquire new offensive lineman in one way or another.

The reason the Bears lost is that their Defense is weaker than suspected and their special teams have some problems.

The Bears solution is to hire Rod Marinelli, a move I agree with. The new Defensive Line coach is a mean SOB, and to be frank, we need that. Lovie will be calling Defensive plays; which translates to Babich returning as a linebacker coach. The Bears went to the Super Bowl with Babich as their linebacker coach, so I see no problems, after his bruised ego heals. Let’s face it, folks, Babich is NOT a Defensive coordinator. In fact, he sucks as one.

Tommy (I Really SUCK for 10 million a year) Harris says he is happy with the new Defensive Line Coach. He wants to play for him. Well, that is great, but I thought you should play with whoever is coach.

Rod Marinelli has recently praised Alex Brown, as well he should. Alex Brown was a bright spot this season, a season of dark holes. Between Manning and Brown, I am torn as to who I enjoy watching more. I will admit to being critical of Daniel Manning, but the guy can play and he does so with heart.

The other Brown, Mike Brown, deserves a one year contract. I hope the Bears give him one. Fill it with incentives if he plays a full season and he will be happy and productive.

As far as the other defenders, light a fire under Anderson and Urlacher (the latter will be an albatross across the team’s neck for a while longer) and draft some decent safeties. I would go free agent for a QB and two wide receivers. I would also dump Booker and Davis and keep Lloyd and Hester.

Unwillingly to a degree, and because Jen has convinced me so, I would develop Caleb Hanie and let him in on the competition for quarterback. He is better and bigger than Grossman, and for that alone he deserves some accolades.

Lastly, I think it is time the Bears parted ways with Adrian Peterson, John St. Clair, Truman McBride, Rex Grossman, Garrett Wolfe, Olin Kruetz, John Tait, Marty Booker, and Rashid Davis.

Oh, and the Bears can dump Jerry Angelo any time they wish. And based on the picture, no Jerry Angelo, it is not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home