Sunday, August 05, 2007

Hall of Fame: Football Style


“If you listen to Fools,
The MOB RULES…”
--Ronnie James Dio of Black Sabbath, 1983.

I was really ready to bash the NFL this week.

They named a convicted drug abuser to the Hall of Fame; namely Michael Irvin.

Then I thought about it.

OK, he was convicted of crack possession when he was thirty years old; not a rookie and old enough to know better. That said; time to move on.

As an announcer, I really grow annoyed by his comments, but one has to admit that he is truly “comfortable in his skin,” as it were. He is pretty pro-Cowboy and feels his team can do no wrong.

Well, it’s not like I do not feel the same way for the Bears—although I did not play for them.

Is he a decent role model for kids, being a convicted drug user; not really sure on that one. I mean that is an obvious “no” answer, but let us look at this another way; should he be a role model for kids? I mean, should the parents, community members, teachers, community members, and the like be a role model over a football player?

I have to be very frank here; he seems to have turned his life around. Last year, I saw an interview/profile he did with Chris Burman where he admits the drug abuse ruined his otherwise stellar career; and whether he was clean or not, people would always look at him with doubt.

He has a substance abuse problem, and he is not murdering people. He asked for forgiveness, admitted his problem, and deserves a chance for redemption.

Personally, I cannot stand the Cowboys; I hate Jerry Jones; I cannot stand ESPN guys that dislike the Bears; and I see no reason to take drugs. That noted, Irvin is a gifted athlete that helped his team win numerous playoff games and two Super Bowls. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame and I think he has paid for his sins of his past.
I also think Pete Rose (the baseball player--not my good friend Peter of CT) needs to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame--and let's face it; his actions directly affected the sport.

Now, they need to put Steve McMichael, Otis Wilson, and Richard Dent in for obvious reasons—they are BEARS who put their team on top and won Super Bowls.

Just ignore Mongo’s “wrestling” thing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"..Super Bowls." What dimension are you living in? The Bears with Wilson et al only went to and won 1 Super Bowl. Singular not plural.

Really though, why do athletes need to be seen as role models? It's a job. There are no kids out there saying, "Gee, I wish I was an Optician just like Keith. He's my hero. The way he measures a PD in both Binocular and Monocular is pure poetry." I do a job. why am I not a role model?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Eric Sweetwood said...

You are a role model and a hero to your children. You may be to ohers in your store--my students liked your sense of humor and your attitude toward's life. Plus your my hero.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home