Friday, August 03, 2007

Honesty Is The Best Policy


“Honesty, is such a lonely word.
Everyone is so untrue…”
--Billy Joel, 1979.

There is something to be said for honesty.

I was pumping gas yesterday and I filled up my car with eight gallons, when I noticed the machine only charged me $2.22. I hit the trigger again, and gas flowed in to top it off, but no money flipped.

Then, upon closer inspection, I noticed the flaw. Instead of charging me the usual $2.84, it was charging me $0.284 or less than 28.5 cents per gallon.

My mind flashed.

I could call friends. I could tell no one and keep coming (although I am certain they would figure it out with the long lines going around the block to everyone’s favorite “lucky pump”). I could do a flip.

In the end, though, I did the honest thing, went inside and asked the manager to look at the pump. I offered to pay the difference as I showed him the error. He smiled, shook my hand, and said “that’s OK—you saved me money in the long run. You deserve a good deal today.”

Off I went.

Now I am one of those folks who likes to “find money,” believe me. However this is not giving a middle finger to the oil industry. This is a private owner who ends up losing money. He has no choice what BP charges for gas, so why should he lose.

As an educator, if I make an error calculating a kid’s grade, I hear about it. Usually only on the negative side, but occasionally a student will say, “You gave me more points than I earned.” I always marvel at the folks who do that.

In life, we are all-too often dishonest, yet we expect a higher standard from everyone else. If I expect my students, the politicians, the Chicago Bears, my fellow educators, the other groups I whine about in this forum to be honest—well then I need to be as well.

So I feel better; I was honest and my good deed was rewarded.

By the way, in case they did not change it; it was the BP on North Main in Normal: Pump Number 14. You’re Welcome!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy Joel?? Really?? C'mon Eric, you can do better than that. How's about some Dead Kennedys: "We can start by not lying so much And treating other people like dirt It's easy not to base our lives On how much we can scam" (from Stars and Stripes of Corruption)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Eric Sweetwood said...

Forgive Me; I have been going through quite a bit lately. I SWEAR to NEVER quote Billy Joke...uh...Joel again. Stress has been high, as you are aware. My God, I have committed a crime against HUMANITY by admitting to having any knowledge of Billy Joel!!!

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quote caught me off guard knowing you general hatred of Billy Joel. I know more about the man and his songs than I care to, and yes Billy Joel IS a crime against humanity. You're only human.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Eric Sweetwood said...

You may be right, I may be crazy. I should just leave a tender moment alone, but for the longest time, I have been in a New York state of mind, which caused pressure.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home