Saturday, October 20, 2007

Call The Lawyers

“Good morning,
Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings,
Showing feelings of an almost human nature.
This will not do.”

--Roger Waters of Pink Floyd from "The Trial" from The Wall, 1979.

Not much news to report.

The Bears are playing poorly; I have a bit of stomach flu or some type of virus complete with chills, fever, and nausea; the cats are fine; and I have playing more and more power metal.

I was curious last week about how much we have turned into a litigious society. I really have not been affected by it as much; but I slipped in class due to my disdain of the students’ rudeness towards my student teacher. Upon doing so, I may have uttered some unseemly words. No one threatened to sue me, but a parent was not pleased with my liberal usage of the English language; and she wanted some punishment directed towards me.

Recently at work I had a few disagreements with other faculty members and there was some mild talk of filing grievances against me.

Obviously going through a divorce, one can expect certain litigation to ensue.

I have not been sued or even been in front of a court other than trying to politely brown-nose my way out of a ticket or speaking on behalf of a student.

I never even thought about suing others.

I honestly think the world would be much better off if people were not always trying to impose their views for a quick fix and hiding behind litigation to do so. I mean, let’s face it, we all have been harmed by others words and/or actions. The thought of suing just does not come to me. The thought of kicking the crap out of someone may, but not suing.

Last week the schools of Illinois were given a mandate by the state (the same state that after 25 years STILL refuses to pay the 51% of a district’s costs even though it is a law on the book) for a ten second “moment of silence” after the Pledge of Allegiance.

We all know what this is thinly disguised as: PRAYER IN SCHOOL.

I have no problem if someone wishes to pray in my class (many students do before my Psychology Final). They can pray in Yiddish if they wish. Offer up a Lord’s Prayer or Hail Mary. Grab the Koran for a lesson; none of it matters to me. I doubt it will help much, but if it brings comfort—by all means.

On the other hand, the school and the state cannot encourage this behavior. “A moment of silence” is meant to be “reflective.”

Uh-huh.

Reality is that “a moment of silence” is meant to push a moral agenda in a secular place; something that should not and cannot happen.

I follow the law because I feel that I am setting an example by doing so. I may not agree with it, as I told my students, but I will follow it because I do not agree with a 65 MPH speed limit, yet if I break it, I am forced to pay the consequences.

I am just wondering how long it will take for someone in the state to sue Illinois. I also wonder if they will win. I may even suggest to our school to sue the state for our 51% (we currently are given about 18%-26% depending on the year).

Such suits will not be heard quickly because the courts are bogged down with frivolity and worthless cases. It seems the important matters are ignored when a private agenda is pushed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, Eric.

Unfortunately, the state of Illinois has been sued already in regards to the lack of 51% funding of the education. Courts said it required a legislative solution.

Illinois is not like Kentucky where the courts turned to the state legislature and ordered them to fix the funding inequities.

I believe that it is in the way it is worded in our state constitution. The state has the larger responsibility but getting it translated into action is difficult.

Don't you just love it!

Lou

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home