Monday, March 22, 2010

The Spirit Carries On

“I used to be frightened of dying,
I used to think death was the end;
But that was before,
I'm not scared anymore…
I know that my soul will transcend.

I may never find all the answers…
I may never understand why…
I may never prove…
What I know to be true,
But I know that I still have to try.

If I die tomorrow,
I'd be all right…
Because I believe,
That after we're gone,
The spirit carries on.”

--Dream Theater from the song “The Spirit Carries On,” 1999.

A few updates:

Last weekend I went on a Cursillo. This is a men’s retreat that is ecumenical in nature, but it is put on by a local Catholic Church. Out of respect to the group who spoke and to the people who may wish to take this journey, I will only say that I benefited quite a bit from going.

I came looking for a few answers and I think I found them. Or at least I am on the way to find them. Can we ever really fine all of the answers we are looking for anyway?

Last spring something really happened to me that was unexplainable. Since the stroke, which frankly woke me up a bit, life has been better. I cannot explain it, but it has been better. I really believe I was touched by the spirit and I was saved in a way that involves God reaching out to me. I think I have taken a spiritual path in my hopes to gain understanding. This path was not one I was willing to walk, but I am moving forward on it just the same.

Something truly happened to me; I would dare say something miraculous. This does not mean I will judge others or become holier-than anyone, but what it means to me is that there is an inner peace and comfort that I have not felt before. I have gained spiritual growth and even understanding of myself. Greatest of the gifts I was given lst spring was a sense of purpose and peace.

Update 2:
In another update of sorts, I am continuing to work on a federal Teaching American History grant with our PTHS grant writer John Mehlberg. We have submitted it and t looks good. Last year we made it to the final reading, which is impressive for a first time submission from what we are told. This year, we are hoping to accomplish our goals as we read our comments for improvement and have made the grant better by tightening up some loose ends.

Update 3:
Jen has her dress, of which I have not seen, and will see on the wedding day. I am so looking forward to being married to Jen. She has been wonderful. I am about to hit the diet hard and have tux fittings in June and go from there. Reception Hall is taken care of; Church is set; wedding party have been selected; and cats have been told.

Something more controversial or curmudgeon-like next time, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home