Friday, April 22, 2011

An Anniversary With Some Humility




As a historian of sorts, I believe we, as humans, mark anniversaries that have a wide range of specifics. We honor birthdays, marriages, engagements, days we purchase a house and the list goes on. We also mark tragedies in our lives because we wish to honor the memory of a loved one who has passed, or remember the dates of a divorce, or the dates of a medical procedure. Why I do the latter, I am not entirely certain.


I clearly remember the dates of my adulthood heart surgeries (October 4, 2004 and April 4, 2006). I also vividly remember my date with the destiny of my stroke, exactly two years ago today, April 22, 2009.


I have gone through so many changes since that date—most of which are chronicled herein this blog. I felt true love and commitment from Jen, so much so, I married her. I tragically lost one of my closest friends in my little feline girl, Foggy. I have felt pressure at work. I was nominated for an award and received a distinction. In the daily battles of life, I have won a few, lost a few, and broke even on the rest. I went on a spiritual journey and found myself, or at least felt more at ease with a part of myself, I had previously ignored.


In the moment I survived the stroke with little residuals, I honestly feel as if I was touched by the hand of God and I was spared not only death, but I was spared the effects and illnesses which often accompany a stroke.


Since that stroke, I have reassessed my life and my role in this life I share with others. Without going into all of Thoreau’s Existentialism, I have felt as if I have a purpose in this plane of existence, as does all of us, and I have a duty to myself and to those around me, to lead a better life in service to others. I also honestly believe that I have a commitment to fulfill happiness, give respect, teach knowledge, and bring out joy to others.


I still remember the words of Dr. Jim McCrisken as he told me that we owe it to ourselves and others to enjoy life and to bear in mind that each day is a gift without guarantees for a future day. That sentiment was echoed by my brother Mark.


I am thankful my Uncle Dan was with me and recognized that I was going through a stroke, as he acted quickly to save me. I am blessed to have the surgical skills on my side as Dr. Ajeet Gordhan guided a Merci Retrieval Cath through my body and into the brain to “pull out” the stroke.


Dr. McCrisken, in a recent article he was quoted about me, explained it better than I could hope:


In April of 2009 he began to experience symptoms of a stroke and reported immediately to the ER at Advocate BroMenn Medical Center (ABMC). He was seen immediately and a Code Gray called. (rapid response team to assist acute stroke patients.). Dr. Dick, a neurologist, saw Eric and quickly activated the Cath team under Dr. Gordhan's direction. Dr. Gordhan, an interventional neuroradiologist, then did a cerebral (head) angiogram and found a blood clot in the main artery in the right side of Eric's Brain. Eric was in the process of developing a severe and large stroke affecting the left side of his body. Using the "Merci" retrieval catheter Dr. Gordhan was able to remove the clot from Eric's brain, restore blood flow and thus abort the stroke that was in progress. As a result of such swift stroke team action, Eric made a complete neurological recovery and has no significant defect to this day!

Eric was at the right place, at the right time with an ideal set of circumstances that allowed immediate treatment of his stroke with the most advanced technology available in this day and age. One must say that he was extremely fortunate, and very blessed to have such a perfect scenario occur in the treatment of his stroke.

A few months later Eric was profoundly affected by all of this (as anyone would be!) and in quite a state of questioning and introspection regarding his stroke and survival with no significant defects. Sensing his inner turmoil and soul searching questions I did mention to him, at the end of a routine office follow up visit, that an upcoming Cursillo weekend may help him sort out some of his questions. I had been asked to be the Rector (leader) of that Cursillo weekend in March of 2010 and extended Eric an invitation to attend as a "candidate." This was a 3 and 1/2 day opportunity for him to get away from his hectic schedule and spend time in reflection, discussion, prayer and community to help him sort out his soul searching questions of why, how etc.. The Cursillo weekend (Short Course in Christianity) had a profound effect on Eric and helped him discern some of his deepest questions about his life and the meaning of his stroke, survival, recovery and how this all came together. He found this weekend extremely helpful in dealing with all of these great questions of life! God does work in mysterious ways for sure.

There was a dramatic and noticeable change in Eric, his view of life and a new sense of inner peace and joy that persists to this day. I am grateful that Eric has had such a wonderful outcome medically and spiritually and that he is able to ENJOY his new life and recent marriage!! It really does not get any better than that on this earth!

Eric certainly did have the best possible outcome possible for this potentially devastating stroke, he was in a "perfect scenario" for such a wonderful medical outcome, and clearly he had a transforming spiritual awakening during his Cursillo weekend as he worked to piece all these pieces of his life and life threatening medical puzzle together.

There are so many other people to thank, such as Jen, her parents, my parents, my sister, Karen; my neice Angela; my parents; my brother Mark and his wife Mary; my family; my principal Jon; my colleagues from work; my doctors and their skills; my cats for their affection; and all of my friends.

Perhaps most importantly, and I know I will never neglect this, I thank the Good Lord for the gift I was given and I hope I continue to show that I am worthy of the chances I received. In the “perfect scenario” that Dr. McCrisken mentioned, I completely believe that Dan’s recognition, the skills of the medical professionals, and God’s graces gave me the gift of an opportunity to live a full and enriching life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home